This article was adapted from an article written by Dr. Murray Clarke on Safbaby.com.
Did you know that by the time a child reaches the age of 17, almost 90% of their adult bone mass will already have been established! Kid’s calcium intake is very important for their future bone health! Calcium is one of the most abundant minerals in the human body and accounts for approximately 1.5% of total body weight. Bones and teeth contain 99% of the calcium in the body while the remaining 1% is distributed in other areas.
It is during childhood, often referred to as the “bone-forming years,” that a child’s body is most capable of absorbing calcium. But the fact is, most children and adolescents aren’t getting the calcium they need to build peak bone mass. According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 86% of teenage girls and 64% of teenage boys are “calcium deficient.” Did you know that children who don’t get enough calcium are more likely to suffer from bone fractures and may develop osteoporosis as they age? They also risk having weaker teeth and tooth decay later in life. …Continue Reading